My research at LLNL focuses on numerical modeling of hydraulic stimulation of geothermal and natural gas reservoirs. The so-called hydraulic fracturing or "fracking" process allows us to extract energy locked in low permeability geological formations by creating new fracture networks and remobilizing existing fractures. The primary challenge in the simulation of this process is to handle the complex interactions between multiple phases over a wide spectrum of scales. I also actively conduct research in developing particle-based numerical simulation/analysis techniques and using such techniques to investigate granular material behaviors, especially the effects of fabric and deformation localization.
Honors and Awards
- LLNL AEED SPOT Award, 2011
- Best RMPD Scientific Paper Award, 2010
- UC Davis Prize for Excellence in Geotechnical Engineering, 2008
- UC Davis Sustainable Transportation Center Dissertation Fellowship, 2007
- Excellent Graduate Award of Tsinghua University, 2001
Selected (Recent) Publications
- Fu, P., Walton, O.R., and Harvey, J.T. (2011). "Polyarc discrete element for efficiently simulating arbitrarily shaped 2D particles." International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, DOI: 10.1002/nme.3254.
- Fu, P., and Dafalias, Y.F. (2011). "Study of anisotropic shear strength of granular materials using DEM simulation." International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics, 35(10): 1098-1126, DOI: 10.1002/nag.945.
- Fu, P., and Dafalias, Y.F. (2010). "Fabric evolution within shear bands of granular materials and its relation to critical state theory." International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics, 35(18): 1918–1948,
- Fu, P., Jones, D., and Harvey, J.T. (2011). "The effects of asphalt binder and granular materials characteristics on foamed asphalt mix strength." Construction and Building Materials, 25(2), 1093-1101, DOI: 10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2010.06.067.
- Fu, P., Jones, D., Harvey, J.T., and Halles F.A. (2010). "Investigation of the curing mechanism of foamed asphalt mixes based on micromechanics principles." Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, 22(1): 29-38,
- Fu, P., Jones, D., and Harvey, J.T. (2010). "Micromechanics of the effects of mixing moisture on foamed asphalt mix properties." Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, ASCE, 22(10): 985-995,