Multiphase equations of state and phase diagrams of materials, optical properties of systems in extreme conditions of pressure and temperature, many-electron effects in optical properties of bulk solids and nanostructures, physics of highly collisional plasmas.
Lorin Benedict joined the Condensed Matter and Materials Division at the end of 1998 as a computational condensed matter theorist. Prior to being at LLNL, he was an NRC postdoc at the National Institute of Standards and Technology in Gaithersburg, MD, where he worked with Eric Shirley on the computation of excitonic effects in optical spectra of solids. He holds a BA in Physics from the University of Chicago (1992), and a PhD in Physics from the University of California at Berkeley (1996), where he worked in the groups of Steven Louie and Marvin Cohen. His thesis work was on predicting various properties of carbon nanotubes and other closely related materials. His current interests are three-fold: 1) Using phenomenological models to produce very accurate multi-phase equations of state for materials such as hydrogen, carbon, beryllium, etc., 2) Developing a theoretical approach to predicting the optical properties of materials undergoing solid-liquid phase transitions, and 3) Investigating the physics of dense, highly collisional plasmas using MD and kinetic equations.
- Lorin X. Benedict, Michael P. Surh, John I. Castor, Saad A. Khairallah,
Heather D. Whitley, David F. Richards, James N. Glosli, Michael
S. Murillo, Christian R. Scullard, Paul Grabowski, David Michta and
Frank R. Graziani, Molecular dynamics simulations and generalized
Lenard-Balescu calculations of electron-ion temperatire equilibration
in plasmas, Phys. Rev. E 86, 046406 (2012).
- Sebastien Hamel, Lorin X. Benedict, Peter M. Celliers, M.A. Barrios,
T.R. Boehly, G.W. Collins, T. Doppner, J.H. Eggert, D.R. Farley,
D.G. Hicks, J.L. Kline, A. Lazicki, S. LePape, A.J. Mackinnon,
J.D. Moody, H.F. Robey, E. Schwegler and Philip A. Sterne, Equation of
state of CH_1.36: First-principles molecular dynamics simulations and
shock-and-release wave speed measurements, Phys. Rev. B 86, 094113
- Frank R. Graziani, Victor S. Batista, Lorin X. Benedict, John I. Castor, Hui Chen, Sophia N. Chen, Chris A. Fichtl, James N. Glosli, Paul E. Grabowski, Alexander T. Graf, Stefan P. Hau-Riege, Andrew U. Hazi, Saad A. Khairallah, Liam Krauss, A. Bruce Langdon, Richard A. London, Andreas Markmann, Michael S. Murillo, David F. Richards, Howard A. Scott, Ronnie Shepherd, Liam G. Stanton, Michael P. Surh, Jon C. Weisheit, Heather D. Whitley, Large-scale molecular dynamics of dense plasmas: the Cimarron project High Energy Density Physics 8, 105 (2012).
- Miguel A. Morales, Lorin X. Benedict, Daniel S. Clark, Eric Schwegler, Isaac Tamblyn, Stanimir A. Bonev, Alfredo A. Correa, and Steven W. Haan,
Ab initio calculations of the equation of state of hydrogen in a regime relevant for inertial fusion applications, High Energy Density Physics 8, 5 (2012).
- Tadashi Ogitsu, Lorin X. Benedict, Eric Schwegler, Erik W. Draeger, and David Prendergast, First-principles calculations of solid and liquid aluminum optical absorption spectra near the melting curve: Ambient and high-pressure results, Phys. Rev. B 80, 214105 (2009).
- Lorin X. Benedict, Tadashi Ogitsu, Andrea Trave, Christine J. Wu, Philip A. Sterne, and Eric Schwegler, Calculations of high-pressure properties of beryllium: Construction of a multiphase equation of state, Phys. Rev. B 79, 064106 (2009).
- Lorin X. Benedict, James N. Glosli, David F. Richards, Frederick H. Streitz, Stefan P. Hau-Riege, Frank R. Graziani,
Michael S. Murillo, and John F. Benage, Molecular dynamics simulations of electron-ion temperature equilibration in an SF_6 plasma,
Phys. Rev. Lett. 102, 205004 (2009).
- James N. Glosli, Frank R. Graziani, Richard M. More, Michael S. Murillo, Frederick H. Streitz, Michael P. Surh, Lorin X. Benedict, Stefan Hau-Riege, A. Bruce Langdon, and Richard A. London, Molecular dynamics simulations of temperature equilibration in dense hydrogen, Phys. Rev. E 78, 025401(R) (2008).
- Alfredo A. Correa, Lorin X. Benedict, David A. Young, Eric Schwegler, and Stanimir A. Bonev, First-principles multiphase equation of state of carbon under extreme conditions, Phys. Rev. B 78, 024101 (2008).
- Lorin X. Benedict, John E. Klepeis, and Frederick H. Streitz, "Calculation of optical absorption in Al across the solid-to-liquid transition," Phys. Rev. B, 71, 064103 (2005).
- Catalin D. Spataru, Lorin X. Benedict, and Steven G. Louie, "Ab initio calculation of band-gap renormalization in highly excited GaAs," Phys. Rev. B, 69, 205204 (2004).