Chief Computational Scientist
Director, HPC Innovation Center
Director, Institute for Scientific Computing Research, Computation Directorate
Fred Streitz leads efforts to develop HPC applications that push the limits of leadership-class computational capability to address forefront scientific problems. On four occasions, he has led multidisciplinary/multi-institutional teams recognized as Gordon Bell Prize Finalists for significant achievement in supercomputing.
His current focus, as Director of the HPC Innovation Center, is broadening the use of high performance computing by U.S. industry to promote global competitiveness.
Dr. Streitz sits on Steering Committees for Harvard's IACS and Argonne's ICiS, and serves as the Associate Editor for the International Journal of High Performance Computing Applications. Prior to joining Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in the Physical and Life Sciences Directorate in 1999, Fred held positions as a National Research Council Fellow at the Naval Research Laboratory and an Assistant Professor at Auburn University
Fred earned a Ph.D. in Physics from the Johns Hopkins University and a B.S. in Physics from Harvey Mudd College.
- B.R. de Supinski et al., “BlueGene/L applications: Parallelism On a Massive Scale,” International Journal of High Performance Computing Applications, Vol. 22, 33-51 (2008)
- J. N. Glosli, F. R. Graziani, R. M. More, M. S. Murillo, F. H. Streitz, M. P. Surh, L. X. Benedict, S. Hau-Riege, A. B. Langdon, and R. A. London, “Molecular Dynamics Simulations of Temperature Equilibration in Dense Hydrogen,” Phys. Rev. E 78, 025401 (2008)
- J. N. Glosli, K. J. Caspersen, J. A. Gunnels, D. F. Richards, R. E. Rudd, and F. H. Streitz, “Extending Stability Beyond CPU Millennium: A Micron-Scale Atomistic Simulation of Kelvin–Helmholtz Instability,” Proceedings of the 2007 ACM/IEEE Conference on Supercomputing, 2007
- F.H. Streitz, J.N. Glosli, M.V. Patel, Bor Chan, R.K. Yates, B.R. de Supinski, J. Sexton, J.A. Gunnels, “Simulating solidification in metals at high pressure: the drive to petascale computing,” J. of Physics: Conf. Series, 46, 254, (2006)
- J.A Moriarty, L.X. Benedict, J.N. Glosli, R.Q. Hood, D.A. Orlikowski, M.V. Patel, P. Soderlind, F.H. Streitz, M. Tang, L.H. Yang, “Robust quantum-based interatomic potentials for multiscale modeling in transition metals.” J. Mat. Res. 21, 563 (2006)
- J.H. Nguyen, D. Orlikowski, F.H. Streitz, J.A. Moriarty and N. C. Holmes, “High-pressure tailored compression: Controlled thermodynamic paths,” J. Appl. Phys. 100, 023508 (2006).
- F.H. Streitz, J.N. Glosli and M.V. Patel, “Beyond finite size scaling in solidification simulations,” Phys. Rev. Letters, 96, 225701 (2006).
- L.X. Benedict, J.E. Klepeis, and F.H. Streitz, “Calculation of optical absorption in Al across the solid-to-liquid transition,” Phys. Rev. B, 71, 064103 (2005).
- J.A. Moriarty, J.F. Belak, R.E. Rudd, P. Soderlind, F.H. Streitz, L.H. Yang, "Quantum based atomistic simulation of materials properties in transition metals," J. Phys: Condens. Matter 14, 2825 (2002)
- F. H. Streitz and J. W. Mintmire, “Energetics of aluminum vacancies in gamma-alumina,” Phys. Rev. B 60, 773 (1999)
- F. H. Streitz and J.W. Mintmire, “Molecular dynamics simulations of elastic response and tensile failure of alumina,” Langmuir 12, 4605 (1996)
- F. H. Streitz and J. W. Mintmire, “Electrostatic potentials for metal oxide surfaces and interfaces,” Phys. Rev. B 50, 11996 (1994)
- F. H. Streitz, R. C. Cammarata, and K. Sieradzki, “Surface stress effects on elastic properties II: Metallic multilayers,” Phys. Rev. B 49, 16707 (1994)
- F. H. Streitz, R. C. Cammarata, and K. Sieradzki, “Surface stress effects on elastic properties I: Thin metal films,” Phys. Rev. B 49, 16699 (1994)
- F. H. Streitz, K. Sieradzki, and R. C. Cammarata, “Elastic properties of thin fcc films,” Phys. Rev. B 41, 12285 (1990)
- Gang Xiao, M. Z. Cieplak, D. Musser, A. Gavrin, F. H. Streitz, C. L. Chien, J. J. Rhyne, and J. A. Gotaas, “Significance of plane versus chain sites in high Tc oxide superconductor,” Nature (London) 332, 238 (1988)
- F. H. Streitz, M. Z. Cieplak, gang Xiao, A. Gavrin, A. Bakhshai, and C. L. Chien, “Superconducting Au-YBa2Cu3O7 composites,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 52, 927 (1988)
- Gang Xiao, M. Z. Cieplak, A. Gavrin, F. H. Streitz, A. Bakhshai, and C. L. Chien, “High temperature superconductivity in tetragonal perovskite structure: is oxygen vacancy order important?” Phys. Rev. Lett. 60, 1446 (1988)